Today on the blog we wanted to talk about wedding entertainment; specifically wedding DJs. We’ll chat more about wedding bands and other forms of entertainment in different blog posts in the future. People tend to have strong ideas on the importance of the wedding DJ and how much of the budget should be allocated toward this service. We are here to tell you that having a great, professional and experienced wedding DJ is very important!
Music plays a huge part in setting the mood of your event. If your plan is to have an iPhone connected to a set of speakers that tells me, as a planner, that dancing isn’t an important aspect of your wedding. That is totally fine, but if you want to ensure that your guests spend a lot of time on the dance floor, a different approach is needed, and you may want to consider hiring a qualified wedding DJ. A great wedding DJ will do more than play one song after another – they take the time to discuss musical tastes and preferences and the mood that their clients want to set at the wedding reception. Some couples want a club atmosphere at their reception, and some couples are looking for very specific genres. A great wedding DJ will have experience with reading the crowd at the wedding, and will know when to switch the sound up to get the crowd amped up– and will also know when to censor music so as not to offend your guests. Most importantly, a great wedding DJ will keep your crowd dancing the night away, and everyone will walk away with wonderful memories and sore feet!
In order to help you ensure that you are selecting a great wedding DJ, we’ve put together a list of questions to ask when you are conducting your interviews. Enjoy!
10 Questions to Ask Prospective Wedding DJs
- How long have you been in business?
- How many weddings have you played at?
- What is included in your wedding packages, and what are the rates?
- Do you own your own equipment or do you rent it? What type of equipment do you use?
- Do you provide MC services?
- How extensive is your library? Do you have [insert specific genre here]? Do you have experience DJing [insert specific cultural] weddings?
- Can we give you a ‘do not play’ list that you will follow, even if a guest requests one of the songs on that list?
- Do you lead any centerpiece or ice breaker games?
- We need help picking songs for first dances, mother-son, father-daughter, etc. Can you help with that?
- Can you adhere to business casual attire for the event?
We are confident that by asking the above questions, you will be able to find the best wedding DJ for your wedding and your guests will dance the night away!
If you need assistance with finding the perfect wedding DJ, get in touch with us! We’d be happy to show you how we can help!